With hot weather fast approaching in the Houston area, now is the time to make sure your air conditioner is ready for the warm spring and summer months ahead. Proper AC maintenance, along with a few easy steps to keep your house cooler, will ensure that your air conditioner is operating at peak efficiency to keep your home comfortable, your utility bill lower, while limiting the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns and repairs.
1. Call Village Plumbing & Home Services for your annual air conditioner inspection and tune-up. Your cooling technician will perform a comprehensive system inspection to identify any potential problems that could lead to inefficient operation or a breakdown. A dirty, neglected air conditioner can cost you hundreds of extra dollars in energy costs each season, while also shortening the lifespan of the unit, so an annual system tune-up is cheap insurance.
2. Change your furnace filter at least once a month. Clean filters enable your HVAC system to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier.
3. Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks.
4. Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
5. Make sure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
6. Manage the temperature with a programmable thermostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you’re away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
7. Block out direct sun with drapes and window shades.
8. Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the home.
9. Plan hot activities for the cooler morning and evening hours. Tasks such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for the AC system to do its job.
If your air conditioner is not effectively cooling all areas of your home, or you notice unusual noise coming from your air conditioner, call Village Plumbing & Home Services, our experienced technicians can help diagnose the problem and repair your cooling system so it provides reliable cooling throughout the hot months to come.